The goal of the Economic Empowerment focus area is to empower Latinos to achieve economic self-sufficiency. This work includes the Latina Economic Empowerment Program and advocacy to address Latino entrepreneurship and minority-owned business opportunities. Large-scale events include the annual Career Expo, the annual Latina Empowerment Conference, corporate recruitment events and job fairs.
Through the work of the Economic Empowerment department, they have:
- Helped 458 low-income Latinas launch their own small business.
- Launched a micro-loan program which helps Latinas launch or expand their business.
- Empowered 850 Latina immigrant women to become change agents in their own lives, those of their families and communities at the 2nd Annual Latina Empowerment Conference.
- Connected over 500 job seekers to 45 top Atlanta-area employers at the annual Career Expo. / Provided industry-specific job skills training to 35 low-income immigrants to become Certified.
- Nursing Assistants and Personal Care Assistants and placed them in jobs earning family-sustaining wages.
¡Avanzando Juntas! ~ Latina Empowerment Program
Hispanic women are much more likely than non-Hispanic women to live in poverty. Many times they lack the education, experience and skills – even the self-confidence – to pursue gainful and stable employment.
The ¡Avanzando Juntas! Latina Economic Empowerment Program is an innovative program that offers Latinas the opportunity to capitalize on their interests, skills and talents in their journey of personal and professional growth. We encourage, support and inspire participants to start their own micro-enterprises as they acquire the knowledge and tools needed to succeed. The program was launched in 2014 with funds from The Coca-Cola Foundation and is tailored to meet the needs of Latina immigrants.
Essentially, we are creating a space where Latinas can get the knowledge, support and entrepreneurial skills necessary to become economically stable. Our program has a strong cultural and linguistic foundation and is tailored specifically for Latinas.
A critical component of the program is the Latina Empowerment Conference. For details and courses offered in the program, click here.
The LAA can empower more than 850 Latinos every week to live self-sufficient lives and integrate fully into their community by providing them with life-giving resources and education. We can offer individuals the chance to inherit knowledge, skills and support they will need while on their road to success through access to programs and services, including employment orientations and services, immigration legal services, family well-being support groups and services, adult education classes and empowerment and youth programs.
The Economic Empowerment area offer the following courses for adults:
- Language Programs (English, Spanish, ESL)
- Computer Courses
- Translations Services
- LAA Online Job Bank
For details on the above, click on each title above.